Cut Chemist fuses jazz, hip hop and funk on The Audience’s Listening

There’s only one album where one can find Brazilian guitar inspired sounds, space aged rhythms and break beats all mixed and scratched up into one. With his debut album, The Audience’s Listening, Jurassic 5’s (J5) recently departed Lucas Macfadden aka DJ Cut Chemist has finally released what a hard copy of all the record digging he has done sounds like.

With track one, “Motivational Speaker,” listeners can almost get lost in the amount of samples that are thrown at them but the album later shifts gears by bringing on guest MC’s. By far the standout track, “Storm,” features guests Edan & Mr. Lif. The beat on “Storm” would make any BBoy or BGirl go crazy and running for their linoleum mat, and “What’s the Altitude” featuring Hymnal, has the most impressive scratching on the album.

After departing J5 and Grammy-winning Latin alternative band, Ozomatli, Cut has been able to focus on his long-awaited solo project.

The album will most likely appeal to listeners of DJ Shadow and others alike. Listeners who do not have an open mind and are biased towards mixing musical genres should definitely not listen. The album is one giant fusion of jazz, hip-hop and funk. There are some drawbacks in some tracks-mainly dealing with the lack of rhythm and the absence of simplicity in the album; but then again, it is Cut Chemist and one should know what they are getting themselves into before pressing “Play”. Although many may expect the entire album to be nothing but scratching, guess again. It’s a rare-occurrence that is overshadowed by the hundreds of eccentric samples and sounds. The album overall deserves a listen at the unusual and sometimes unexpected sounds.

Marcos Colon may be contacted at m.colon2@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...