Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami women’s tennis team began the fall season by competing in the Gator Fall Classic last weekend, a four-team round robin event that included Duke, University of South Florida, and host University of Florida.

On Friday, Miami beat Florida two out of three in doubles. One of the ‘Canes victories came from the No.7 ranked team of junior Audra Cohen and freshman Laura Vallverdu over UF’s Whitney Benik and Diana Srebrovic, 9-8 (7-5).

In singles action, Miami won five of seven singles matches against USF. Top-ranked Audra Cohen defeated USF’s No.72 Shadisha Robinson 6-2, 6-0. Laura Vallverdu defeated No.68 Liz Cruz 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6) in Vallverdu’s first match of her college career. Juniors Caren Seenauth, Gina Sabatino and sophomore Romy Farah all won their matches for the ‘Canes.

Cohen led Miami in a strong singles effort against Duke on Saturday. The Hurricanes defeated the Blue Devils in five of six singles matches. In the feature match, Cohen beat sixth-ranked Daniela Bercek 6-1, 6-0.

The teams of Banada/Farah and Seenauth/Sabatino secured wins in doubles for Miami against USF.

UM finished up the final day successfully, winning all three doubles matches against Duke and four of the six singles matches over Florida.

The ‘Canes claimed singles victories from Cohen, Banada, Vallerdu, and Sabatino.

Men’s Tennis

Miami’s men tennis team took part in the Hurricane Fall Invitation last weekend. The ‘Canes took on Florida Atlantic, North Florida, and Georgia Southern. Miami finished the weekend with an 11-1 singles record and a 5-1 in doubles.

Miami won all three doubles matches and five of six singles matches against Georgia Southern.

Senior Josh Cohen, Barnabas Carrega, Josip Rupena, Vivek Subramanian and Hector Nieto all claimed singles victories for Miami. Carrega won in straight sets.

Miami swept all singles matches against North Florida and Florida Atlantic.

Football

Despite published reports earlier this week that wide receiver Darnell Jenkins would be out three to four weeks, it seems possible that Jenkins could be back in time for Miami’s next game against Houston on Sept. 30 at 6 p.m.

Jenkins suffered a PCL tear in the game against Louisville on Saturday.

If Jenkins in not able to perform, freshman Sam Shields will replace Jenkins, while Terrell Walden and Khalil Jones would likely compete for the spot that Shields would vacate.

Wide receiver Ryan Moore remains suspended for his alleged assault involving a woman outside the Rathskeller.

Head Coach Larry Coker said he expects offensive tackle Reggie Youngblood to start against Houston, but will not decide until next week.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...