Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami women’s tennis team began the fall season by competing in the Gator Fall Classic last weekend, a four-team round robin event that included Duke, University of South Florida, and host University of Florida.

On Friday, Miami beat Florida two out of three in doubles. One of the ‘Canes victories came from the No.7 ranked team of junior Audra Cohen and freshman Laura Vallverdu over UF’s Whitney Benik and Diana Srebrovic, 9-8 (7-5).

In singles action, Miami won five of seven singles matches against USF. Top-ranked Audra Cohen defeated USF’s No.72 Shadisha Robinson 6-2, 6-0. Laura Vallverdu defeated No.68 Liz Cruz 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6) in Vallverdu’s first match of her college career. Juniors Caren Seenauth, Gina Sabatino and sophomore Romy Farah all won their matches for the ‘Canes.

Cohen led Miami in a strong singles effort against Duke on Saturday. The Hurricanes defeated the Blue Devils in five of six singles matches. In the feature match, Cohen beat sixth-ranked Daniela Bercek 6-1, 6-0.

The teams of Banada/Farah and Seenauth/Sabatino secured wins in doubles for Miami against USF.

UM finished up the final day successfully, winning all three doubles matches against Duke and four of the six singles matches over Florida.

The ‘Canes claimed singles victories from Cohen, Banada, Vallerdu, and Sabatino.

Men’s Tennis

Miami’s men tennis team took part in the Hurricane Fall Invitation last weekend. The ‘Canes took on Florida Atlantic, North Florida, and Georgia Southern. Miami finished the weekend with an 11-1 singles record and a 5-1 in doubles.

Miami won all three doubles matches and five of six singles matches against Georgia Southern.

Senior Josh Cohen, Barnabas Carrega, Josip Rupena, Vivek Subramanian and Hector Nieto all claimed singles victories for Miami. Carrega won in straight sets.

Miami swept all singles matches against North Florida and Florida Atlantic.

Football

Despite published reports earlier this week that wide receiver Darnell Jenkins would be out three to four weeks, it seems possible that Jenkins could be back in time for Miami’s next game against Houston on Sept. 30 at 6 p.m.

Jenkins suffered a PCL tear in the game against Louisville on Saturday.

If Jenkins in not able to perform, freshman Sam Shields will replace Jenkins, while Terrell Walden and Khalil Jones would likely compete for the spot that Shields would vacate.

Wide receiver Ryan Moore remains suspended for his alleged assault involving a woman outside the Rathskeller.

Head Coach Larry Coker said he expects offensive tackle Reggie Youngblood to start against Houston, but will not decide until next week.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...