School’s environmental changes a step in the right direction

With the completion of the new Clinical Research Institute (CRI) at Jackson Memorial and plans for more environmentally-friendly buildings, the university continues to implement changes geared towards becoming “green.” The new CRI is not only designed to be energy-efficient, but is also constructed from recycled material. On campus, new completely-electric security carts were unveiled, to go along with existing recycling facilities and waterless toilets.

The changes implemented are a step in the right direction. While the university is not the first to “go green,” nor is it the greenest, the changes are a good start, and indicative of how future green initiatives can, and should, be implemented. They also set a good example, as UM is at the forefront of environmentally-friendly practices in South Florida, which is not what one would consider an Earth-friendly community.

But now that the university has taken the first steps, it must continue its commitment long after the current programs are fulfilled. Events like these recent inaugurations make for great publicity and give the school a good image boost. But neither the university nor the public should be lulled into complacency after these advances. It’s easy to delude ourselves by thinking we’re doing enough for the environment – we’re not. We’ve only just begun, and green changes seem to lag behind other university projects, such as new construction on the Gables campus and expanded shuttle routes. On that note, new shuttles purchased last year should have been outfitted to use cleaner burning natural gas as fuel, something Europe has been doing for years.

But looking at the university’s track record of making a greener campus, it does not seem like commitment will be a problem. The changes will not only benefit the environment, but also enhance the university community tremendously.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...