News Briefs

UM News

Dining services offers students more late-night options

Students who are late-night diners will have more options to choose from this week as Leo’s Deli extends its hours of operation. The eatery, which previously closed its doors at 6 p.m., will now remain open until 9 p.m. from Monday to Thursday.

According to Mel Tenen, vice president of auxiliary services, the decision to keep Leo’s open later resulted from student requests for healthier dining alternatives during the late evening hours. Leo’s was deemed the most practical option based on sales data collected during the three week move-in period for University Village residents, during which most of the restaurants in the dining hall, including Leo’s, remained open later.

“We felt that, based on student feedback and data collected during those three weeks, the results clearly reflected that Leo’s was the most popular food venue, which is why we’ve decided to keep it open later,” Tenen said.

Dining and Vending Services have used student feedback to extend the service hours of several other eateries such as Wendy’s, Salsarita’s and Panda Express over the past few years, the results of which have been beneficial, Tenen said.

ELSEWhere

Thai University of Wisconsin students respond to coup d’etat

By Joana Pliner // Badger Herald (U. Wisconsin)

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis. – After the Royal Thai Army overthrew standing Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a nonviolent cout d’etat Tuesday night while he was scheduled to speak at the United Nations in New York, University of Wisconsin students and faculty have responded with both shock and understanding.

Several Thai students at the University of Wisconsin said they were shocked to see military tanks rolling through the capital of Thailand.

“It’s as much a shock to me as it is to you,” UW senior and member of Thai Undergrads Association Taj Unakul said.

With Shinawatra now overthrown, there are many questions about the country’s future.

Languages and Cultures of Asia professor Robert Bickner said Shinawatra has been a controversial public figure since he took office and several attempts to force his resignation failed earlier this year.

Still, Bicker said he did not think the coup would affect the average laypersons life in Thailand.

Bickner added it was unfortunate that tanks have cruised through Bangkok so many times in the past, but that those tanks are merely a show of power, not force.

ETC.

Applications for Alernative Winter Break site leaders are now available in the Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leaderhip Development in UC 240. Return applications to the Butler Center by Sept. 29 at 5 p.m. Previous site leadership experience is preferred.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...