Free speech at UM takes a hit: big investments do not

The US Navy was recently giving away free food on the Rock. Re: The military occupied the “free speech zone.” Am I the only one who found that ironic?

As I’m sure most Cubans (and Cuban-Americans) know, Fidel Castro argues that even though we have free speech in the United States, it is extremely difficult to gain access to the media, and subsequently, to gain significant attention-so really, what’s the point of having free speech, especially if the alternative for many is starving?

Most people realize that the very concept of having a “free speech zone” within the US is ironic. Our constitution guarantees us freedom of speech. Having a “free speech zone” implies that people are not allowed to express themselves freely anywhere else at UM. Yeah it’s private property, but it’s more than that: it’s a community.

Furthermore, only organizations are allowed to reserve the free speech zone. You have to reserve your right to free speech on campus, often months in advance, and only if your message pertains to something that an organization is willing to book the Rock for.

It gets better. UM policy states that any written material distributed on UM property must be approved beforehand. This rule, which is extremely detrimental to our freedom of expression, isn’t enforced very often, but that’s the point, isn’t it? It’s not enforced universally or uniformly, and therefore can be, and has been used to silence certain voices of opposition.

I have a big problem with that, because I object to many aspects of the University’s politics, especially given the unusually high degree of influence that they have over the University’s financial investments, such as buying and re-zoning an environmental preserve in order to build condos. I’m not an animal person: I don’t do pets, I like my steak bloody, and nine times out of ten, I’m with Darwin-and I don’t hug trees, even metaphorically. But what were they thinking?

Here’s what I’d ask for. Unless someone’s going to build large structures, allow free speech all over campus. Also, get rid of the approval process for flyers, and specify offensive terms and concepts, then punish people accordingly. Finally, stop being inconsiderate corporatist investors. Or at least pull your head out of your ass when investing our money.

Bethany Quinn is a senior majoring in Latin American Studies and Photography. She may be contacted at b.quinn@umiami.edu

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...