Letter to the Editor

I am disgusted at the blatant inaccuracy in the September 8 article “Cry for Help,” especially in regards to its claims about American troops serving in Iraq. Karyn Meshbane claims that “many soldiers in Iraq have gone AWOL,” while, as of date, only one soldier is reported to have gone absent without leave while deployed in Iraq. The correct term for this is not AWOL, but desertion, which is punishable by death during wartime. Soldiers have a responsibility to go to war if ordered to, just as professors and students at the University of Miami have a responsibility to attend class. Just as professors and university officials do not chase down students who skip class, the government does not chase down AWOL soldiers. Most are found when they receive a traffic violation or they commit another offense.

While it’s easy to slam the men and women of the armed forces as “baby killers,” soldiers are not ordered to kill innocent women and children. Yes, innocent people do die, but most deaths are occurring from sectarian violence, Iraqis killing other Iraqis, not by the hands of Americans. The few American soldiers who have murdered in Iraq, which is a small minority, are prosecuted to the full extent of the law under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice.

It’s oversimplifying to say that the situation in the Middle East is about oil, economics, or power. The issues we face today have been brewing longer than most University of Miami students have been alive. Before commenting on politics, or disgracing the honor of those serving our country, Ms. Meshbane should research the facts. From the comfort of our private school lives, it’s easy to whine about all of the things that are wrong in the world. After being in Iraq for over three years now, the complaints are getting old. I’d be much more interested if someone could offer a solution.

Andrea DiFonte

Senior

In co-ordination with the 4th Infantry

Division, Baghdad, Iraq

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...