Letter to the Editor

I am disgusted at the blatant inaccuracy in the September 8 article “Cry for Help,” especially in regards to its claims about American troops serving in Iraq. Karyn Meshbane claims that “many soldiers in Iraq have gone AWOL,” while, as of date, only one soldier is reported to have gone absent without leave while deployed in Iraq. The correct term for this is not AWOL, but desertion, which is punishable by death during wartime. Soldiers have a responsibility to go to war if ordered to, just as professors and students at the University of Miami have a responsibility to attend class. Just as professors and university officials do not chase down students who skip class, the government does not chase down AWOL soldiers. Most are found when they receive a traffic violation or they commit another offense.

While it’s easy to slam the men and women of the armed forces as “baby killers,” soldiers are not ordered to kill innocent women and children. Yes, innocent people do die, but most deaths are occurring from sectarian violence, Iraqis killing other Iraqis, not by the hands of Americans. The few American soldiers who have murdered in Iraq, which is a small minority, are prosecuted to the full extent of the law under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice.

It’s oversimplifying to say that the situation in the Middle East is about oil, economics, or power. The issues we face today have been brewing longer than most University of Miami students have been alive. Before commenting on politics, or disgracing the honor of those serving our country, Ms. Meshbane should research the facts. From the comfort of our private school lives, it’s easy to whine about all of the things that are wrong in the world. After being in Iraq for over three years now, the complaints are getting old. I’d be much more interested if someone could offer a solution.

Andrea DiFonte

Senior

In co-ordination with the 4th Infantry

Division, Baghdad, Iraq

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...