Letter to the Editor

I am disgusted at the blatant inaccuracy in the September 8 article “Cry for Help,” especially in regards to its claims about American troops serving in Iraq. Karyn Meshbane claims that “many soldiers in Iraq have gone AWOL,” while, as of date, only one soldier is reported to have gone absent without leave while deployed in Iraq. The correct term for this is not AWOL, but desertion, which is punishable by death during wartime. Soldiers have a responsibility to go to war if ordered to, just as professors and students at the University of Miami have a responsibility to attend class. Just as professors and university officials do not chase down students who skip class, the government does not chase down AWOL soldiers. Most are found when they receive a traffic violation or they commit another offense.

While it’s easy to slam the men and women of the armed forces as “baby killers,” soldiers are not ordered to kill innocent women and children. Yes, innocent people do die, but most deaths are occurring from sectarian violence, Iraqis killing other Iraqis, not by the hands of Americans. The few American soldiers who have murdered in Iraq, which is a small minority, are prosecuted to the full extent of the law under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice.

It’s oversimplifying to say that the situation in the Middle East is about oil, economics, or power. The issues we face today have been brewing longer than most University of Miami students have been alive. Before commenting on politics, or disgracing the honor of those serving our country, Ms. Meshbane should research the facts. From the comfort of our private school lives, it’s easy to whine about all of the things that are wrong in the world. After being in Iraq for over three years now, the complaints are getting old. I’d be much more interested if someone could offer a solution.

Andrea DiFonte

Senior

In co-ordination with the 4th Infantry

Division, Baghdad, Iraq

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...