University Village refugees: it’s not all that bad

It is 8:45 a.m., the sun is blistering, my eyes are tired, but the shuttle to campus is already happily waiting for me at the bus stop. I’m one of the many University Village “refugees,” and my current residence is the Wyndham Grand Bay Hotel in Coconut Grove.

The Wyndham Grand Bay hotel consists of 177 rooms, and 120 are currently housing UM students. A week before the start date of the lease, the University Village notified hundreds of students that their apartments would not be ready before classes began, and temporary housing would be provided at hotels near campus.

Most students were frustrated, for they had been looking forward to having their own room, a kitchen, an apartment environment very close to campus, and a stable place to live at the start of the school year. Now, students will have to move in during September and October – hopefully not at the same time as any exams!

Though most of my fellow village people were upset with this news, my initial reaction was excitement. For the first couple weeks of school I would be living in a really nice hotel with maid service, receiving free dining dollars, and surrounded by great restaurants within walking distance.

After staying at the Wyndham all this time, I’m still very impressed with all the amenities provided for the UM students, but there are some problems that come with hotel life. The students staying at the Holiday Inn are close to campus, but the Holiday Inn does not provide enough parking for all of the students with cars. Also, the students staying at the Biltmore have to sleep on cots, the students staying at the Marriott have to set aside an hour to get to or from campus, and the students at the Doubletree are sleeping on uncomfortable roll-away beds.

Furthermore, going back to campus to eat at Sbarro or Subway for the 20th time this week in order to use my allotment of dining dollars has become a nuisance – I’m not Jared. But, to give the University Village some credit, delays do happen, especially when dealing with construction companies. To the students staying at hotels and battling multiple hassles, I’m sorry. Still, the University Village has put a lot of money and effort into accommodating close to 800 apartmentless students. Maybe we should cut them some slack.

Karyn Meshbane is a junior majoring in Neuroscience. She may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...