Shinn excels on and off golf course

Student? Athlete? Student-athlete?

Most people would say that if you are at Miami to play a sport, then you are an athlete first and a student second, but those who know these athletes will tell you, they are 33 percent student, 33 percent athlete, and 34 percent superhuman.

Josie Shinn is one such student-athlete who fits this bill. Her skills on the golf course are closely paralleled by her outstanding academic record.

Shinn, a senior and member of the Hurricane’s women’s golf team, is looking to cap off her colligate golf career with a bang.

“I hope I can win another tournament,” Shinn said. “I want to win at least one more time, before I leave Miami.”

Aside from winning tournaments, Shinn has racked up her fair share of awards over the last few years. In 2005, Shinn was honored with an All-ACC selection for her outstanding play and in 2006 Shinn made the All-ACC Academic Team. She was later named to the 2006 NGCA All-American Scholar Team.

“I was excited when I found out I had been selected to the All-Scholar Team,” Shinn said. “It showed me that hard work and dedication pay off. It proved that I had done well, both as a student and as an athlete.”

Shinn’s selection to the 2006 NGCA All-American Scholar Team was based on a number of criteria, which included having a minimum 3.5 GPA, participating in at least 50 percent of the team’s regularly scheduled competitive rounds, and playing well on the golf course.

Shinn not only met the requirements, but she exceeded them by finishing with a GPA above 3.5, playing in eight of the team’s nine tournaments and having six top 20 and three top 10 performances.

Shinn also led last year’s Hurricane squad with a 76.00 stroke average.

When you mix in tournaments, practice, classes and studying, it is evident just how much effort goes into balancing both the classroom and the golf course.

“We have four to five hour practices on most days,” Shinn said. “Then, I have to drive back to school and go to my classes. The day starts at 5:30 a.m. and classes end at 5 p.m. After this, I go home and start studying.”

With the women’s golf season just beginning with the two day Cougar Classic on Sept. 11 and 12, great things can be expected from this senior. Her experience, mixed in with her poise, passion for the game and natural talent are a perfect mix on the golf course. Add this to her hard work and winning attitude and it’s evident why there is no doubt Shinn has what it takes to win.

Shinn has tasted victory before, in her sophomore season, when she won the Papa John’s Collegiate by seven strokes. For any athlete, once is never enough and Shinn strives to win at least one more tournament.

“I was extremely happy when I last won,” Shinn said. “I want that once more. I always give 100 percent when I play and practice. That is why I think I can win again. Winning once more would be the perfect way to finish up my final season.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...