P’s Bees lacking lyrical buzz

Russia is famous for many exports: gas and oil products, chemicals, Communism.not normally pop music. Singer and primary songwriter of Persephone’s Bees, Angelina Moysov, grew up in the Soviet Union listening to her mother’s folk and gypsy melodies.

Combine those tunes with a smattering of American, British and Russian underground and punk bands and enjoy the electronic-pop.

Any of the eleven tracks from “Notes from the Underworld” could mesh in the middle of a club playlist or in an indie rocker’s iPod. Reminiscent of Swedish band The Sounds, the band has synthesizers and guitar solos and Moysov shouts and croons. Persephone’s Bees’ unique and danceable sound will catch mainstream listeners off-guard, and will momentarily distract them from the unfortunately ordinary lyrics.

Although just released on August 29th, songs off of “Notes from the Underworld” have been garnering mild support since 2002. “Way to Your Heart” opens the album bluntly, hitting listeners with their infectious vibe right from the start. “City of Love,” full of distant synthesized wails and Rage Against the Machine-esque guitar slides, graces this week’s edition of iTunes and Facebook’s Back to School Electronica Sampler.

“Even Though I’m Only Fooling Around” gives a clever spin on a relationship, while the band’s first single, “Nice Day,” is a nonchalant ditty to play when nothing seems to matter. However, by the end of the album, songs begin to blend together and start sounding similar.

On their major label debut, Persephone’s Bees have crafted impressive pop tunes that flirt with rock and electronica.

“Songs for the Underworld” is for listeners of any of those genres or just the adventurous music lover.

Hilary Saunders can be contacted at hsaunder@umsis.miami.edu.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...