‘Canes look to bounce back

The Miami Hurricanes look to bounce back after their loss on Monday as they lace up against the Florida A&M Rattlers this Saturday at the Orange Bowl beginning at 7 p.m.

Miami comes into the game with a 0-1 record, after tasting a bitter 10-13 loss to the Seminoles.

Their opponents, the FAMU Rattlers, also enter the game with a 0-1 record, as they faced a 14-34 loss to the Delaware State Hornets.

The Hurricanes have dropped to 17th on the AP Poll and 16th on the USA Today Poll.

The ‘Canes and Division I-AA Rattlers have met six times before, with the ‘Canes coming out on top five of those six times, but this is the first time the two teams play each other since Rubin Carter became the head coach of the Rattlers.

Carter is a former Miami defensive lineman, and he was inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 1992.

This will be an important game for Carter, up against his alma mater, but it is an equally important game for Coker and the Hurricanes.

“Every game is important,” Coker said. “This FAMU game will be very important.”

Coker also said that starting running back Tyrone Moss is ready to return and may play in the FAMU game.

Going into this game, the Hurricanes have a great deal of work to do, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The offense, except for a well-played second quarter, looked unorganized and was unable to come up with a big play against FSU.

The Hurricane offense is going into the game against an average FAMU defense, which gave up 216 rushing yards and 80 passing yards against Delaware State, and was also unable to get to Delaware State’s quarterback.

The ‘Canes will have to watch out for running back Anthony Edwards, who ran for eighty-seven yards and two touchdowns in his week one performance.

Along with Edwards, the Hurricane defense will have to be aware of wide receiver Roosevelt Kiser. Kiser is not a deep threat, but he is the favorite receiver of quarter back Albert Chester, as Kiser accounted for nearly 50 percent of FAMU’s receiving offense in week one.

Still, FAMU will be faced with a tough challenge, as they will be going up against a very stingy Miami defense, which gave up only one net yard rushing and 175 net yards passing against Florida State.

Look for the Hurricanes to come out strong and on target, as they have not lost two straight games since 2004.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...