A mature Martin plays unplugged event on campus

The University of Miami’s very own BankUnited Center hosted the 19th installment of MTV Latin America’s MTV Unplugged on August 17 with Latin pop artist Ricky Martin. The concert is set to air on MTV Latin America, MTV Tr3s and MTV Puerto Rico on November 1, and it will also be released by Sony BMG on CD and DVD.

From the start of the show, it was evident that Martin has reinvented his image and developed maturity as an artist since his famed success on American charts in the late 1990’s with hits such as “Livin’ La Vida Loca.” Martin explained that he feels a closer intimacy to his music now than he has in the past, making this a great opportunity to perform Unplugged.

“For the last couple of months I’ve been looking for simplicity. And believe it or not, Unplugged is simplicity but at the same time it is full of details, but it felt amazing; it felt really comfortable because I felt protected by the band that I was working with. I felt protected with the audience. It was a very very intimate place; challenging,” Martin said.

Martin also decided to record this album live as an alternative to a recording studio. He wanted to share his music with his fans, but did not want to endure the grueling schedule of a formal recording.

By performing Unplugged, the music flowed out of him naturally. It was a lot less rehearsed and choreographed than his typical concert.

Proceeds from this Unplugged album will go to support children’s charities and several artists, such as Shakira, have won Grammy and Latin Grammy awards for their Unplugged albums.

In his press conference, Martin announced that he is in the process of planning a Latin American tour. Though he is working to achieve an intimate setting, he realizes this will be difficult in order to reach all of his fans in his home of Puerto Rico, where the tour is set to launch.

In regards to his Unplugged performance, Martin said, “I just want to focus on the things that I felt tonight and I felt anxiety; I felt joy; I felt certainty for a moment. So the most challenging thing would be to control your emotions but to know where they’re coming from and why and then let go. Detachment is a pain in the ass and it’s really painful, but I guess just working with detachment I guess I was able to really express my emotions in my music and in my lyrics.”

Paige Feigenbaum can be contacted at p.feigenbaum@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...