No playing games…

The Roots sound more alive on their albums than most other hip-hop groups, which is probably what makes them such a sensational listen. Their ability to design beats that couple so well with singer Black Thought’s lyrics are what make them such a great sell to their loyal fan base. And just like Phrenology and The Tipping Point, Game Theory continues The Roots evolution into one of the best mainstream hip-hop groups around.

The Roots seem to be all about the “game” of life. How we play it and how some of us lose while others win. So it’s fitting that the album and the first great track off it are both titled “Game Theory.” Other tracks, like the first single “Don’t Feel Right” and “Atonement” blast off on a slew of critiques and tough questions that are rarely answered but perfect subject matter for the serious songwriter. But its how these tracks work off each other that makes them so distinguishable on the album.

The strongest and most defined tracks on the album come later. Tracks like “Baby,” the incredibly catchy “Long Time,” “Livin’ in a New World,” “Clock with No Arms,” and the perfect closer “Can’t Stop” yet again give equal weight to the album, instead of overshadowing one another.

There are a few things that separate Game Theory from previous Root’s efforts. One being the new label. And now that I’ve said that, get it out of your mind because it has no barring on the quality of Game Theory. The second is the subject matter, which is surprisingly dark and heavy. There’s something very freeing and admirable about a group that isn’t willing to put on a smiley face and fake a feeling. Even the first single, “Don’t Feel Right” is rather harsh and pushy for the MTV crowd. But that’s what The Roots represent, a group that isn’t willing to take the common short cuts to fame. Their glory is their music.

Danny Gordon may be contacted at d.gordon5@umiami.edu

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...