Lady Hurricanes jump to success

Athletic success has become a norm at the University of Miami. From football to baseball, swimming and diving to tennis, basketball to track and field, the ‘Canes have become accustomed to winning seasons and national titles. The halls of The U are marked by those of the past, the ones that walked through with their heads held high and winning on their minds.

The 2006 Women’s Track and Field athletes have secured a spot among these elite athletes, as they turned in the schools best ever performance at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

The ‘Canes brought home 13 All-America honors, as well as an overall seventh place finish.

Senior Tabia Charles jumped her way to an NCAA Title, as she finished first in the triple jump event. Charles also earned All-America honors for her efforts in the long jump. Charles, who graduated this past May, expressed her joy after winning the triple jump.

“I am very happy. It’s been a wonderful three years, and I really wanted to go out with a bang.”

A NCAA Title was just the bang Charles was looking for. With these victories, Charles added a couple more ribbons to her already impressive ‘Canes career, finishing with 10 All-America honors, seven conference titles, and school records in three events.

“Tabia set many goals for herself at the beginning of the year,” Head Coach Amy Deem said. “Then she set her mind and accomplished those goals. She did some great things this year, especially in the triple and long jump.”

Along with Charles, many other ‘Canes finished the NCAA Championships with noteworthy honors.

Junior Brenda Faluade earned herself All-America honors in the triple jump with a quite impressive showing herself. The award was the sixth time Faluade has earned the All-America honor.

Senior Dominique Darden also displayed a strong showing, to say the least, at the NCAA Championships, as she worked her way to three All-America honors-one in the 400 meter hurdles, one in the 100 meter relay, and one in the 400 meter relay.

Darden adds these three All-America honors to her already large collection of twelve, giving her a school record of fifteen All-America honors.

Running in the 100 meter relay with Darden, were junior Amy Seward, freshman Krista Simkins, and senior India Ransom.

The three, along with Darden, were the foursome who earned All-America honors in the event.

Running with Darden in the 400 meter relay, were Krista Simkins, freshman Ena Leufroy, and junior Ginou Etienne. The four combined their efforts to capture All-America honors in this event.The award winning performances made Deem especially proud of her squad.

Mixed in with her joy about the outcome at the Championships, Deem was most happy with something that was internal, something that cannot be seen or heard on the field.

“Track and Field is not a glory sport,” Deem said. “In order to succeed, you have to truly love the sport because unlike football and basketball, there are no packed stadiums or fields. You have to love the sport and work hard to succeed.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...