Lady Hurricanes jump to success

Athletic success has become a norm at the University of Miami. From football to baseball, swimming and diving to tennis, basketball to track and field, the ‘Canes have become accustomed to winning seasons and national titles. The halls of The U are marked by those of the past, the ones that walked through with their heads held high and winning on their minds.

The 2006 Women’s Track and Field athletes have secured a spot among these elite athletes, as they turned in the schools best ever performance at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

The ‘Canes brought home 13 All-America honors, as well as an overall seventh place finish.

Senior Tabia Charles jumped her way to an NCAA Title, as she finished first in the triple jump event. Charles also earned All-America honors for her efforts in the long jump. Charles, who graduated this past May, expressed her joy after winning the triple jump.

“I am very happy. It’s been a wonderful three years, and I really wanted to go out with a bang.”

A NCAA Title was just the bang Charles was looking for. With these victories, Charles added a couple more ribbons to her already impressive ‘Canes career, finishing with 10 All-America honors, seven conference titles, and school records in three events.

“Tabia set many goals for herself at the beginning of the year,” Head Coach Amy Deem said. “Then she set her mind and accomplished those goals. She did some great things this year, especially in the triple and long jump.”

Along with Charles, many other ‘Canes finished the NCAA Championships with noteworthy honors.

Junior Brenda Faluade earned herself All-America honors in the triple jump with a quite impressive showing herself. The award was the sixth time Faluade has earned the All-America honor.

Senior Dominique Darden also displayed a strong showing, to say the least, at the NCAA Championships, as she worked her way to three All-America honors-one in the 400 meter hurdles, one in the 100 meter relay, and one in the 400 meter relay.

Darden adds these three All-America honors to her already large collection of twelve, giving her a school record of fifteen All-America honors.

Running in the 100 meter relay with Darden, were junior Amy Seward, freshman Krista Simkins, and senior India Ransom.

The three, along with Darden, were the foursome who earned All-America honors in the event.

Running with Darden in the 400 meter relay, were Krista Simkins, freshman Ena Leufroy, and junior Ginou Etienne. The four combined their efforts to capture All-America honors in this event.The award winning performances made Deem especially proud of her squad.

Mixed in with her joy about the outcome at the Championships, Deem was most happy with something that was internal, something that cannot be seen or heard on the field.

“Track and Field is not a glory sport,” Deem said. “In order to succeed, you have to truly love the sport because unlike football and basketball, there are no packed stadiums or fields. You have to love the sport and work hard to succeed.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...