Defense key in opening win

The women’s soccer team opened the Hurricanes’ athletic season Friday night with an inspiring 2-0 win over their in-state rivals, the UCF Golden Knights.

After finishing their 2005 season with an 8-11-1 record, the ‘Canes were poised and ready to start off the new season on the right foot. They did exactly that on Friday, applying stifling defensive pressure and keeping UCF from scoring a goal.

“I think the advantage that we had is that we played them last year, so we had an idea of what to expect,” said Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro, referring to last year’s 2-1 overtime win.

After setting the tone with pressure defense in the first half, the Hurricanes responded offensively with two goals in the second half.

The first goal came late in the game off of a free kick just outside of the penalty box from midfielder Jenna Levenson.

Levenson, who is a transfer student from the University of Florida, made an immediate impact in her first game as a Hurricane, pushing the ball on the offensive end and setting up scoring opportunities.

As far as Levenson’s transition to UM is concerned, she seems to be enjoying herself so far.

“So far, I like it,” she said. “I love the coaches here. It’s a completely different atmosphere, and it’s a good move.”

Coach Taliaferro considers Levenson to be a very welcome addition to the team, saying that she thanked her for making the decision to come to Miami.

“[Levenson] brings a little bit of an edge,” Taliaferro said. “She sets the rhythm for us, she’s the worker bee. She’s the engine right now for us.”

The second Hurricane goal came in the final minute. After Bryn Heinicke got the ball on a breakaway, she passed it to Rachael Rigamat by the right post, who dodged UCF goalkeeper Jennifer Manis to score the insurance goal with 30 seconds left in the game.

The team hopes to build on their superior defense throughout the season. The defensive pressure was no coincidence, though. Taliaferro said she worked on defense with the team all preseason.

“I was happy in the first half with our defending,” Taliaferro said. “I think the difference in the second half was more people involved on the attack. Where we ended the last 45 minutes was what I’d want to carry on.”

As far as the rest of the season is concerned, Taliaferro said that she wants the team to go undefeated against all other Florida teams and have a good showing against teams in their region, since that would help their chances of making this year’s NCAA Tournament. The team also hopes to perform well in ACC competition, where it finished 2-8 last season.

“I definitely expect to make it to the ACC Tournament,” Levenson said. “One of our team goals is to be in the top five in the ACC, so hopefully we’ll be able to accomplish that.”

Taliaferro promised that the student body can expect more exciting play from the soccer team for the remainder of the year.

“We’re fast, and we have more of an attitude of scoring goals,” Taliaferro said. “We’re going to try to make it exciting.”

Joel Brown may be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...