Classic artist in Modern Times

When older generations talk about classic music, they always manage to include that you would never hear something this good being made today. You’ll find Bob Dylan is one of the many artists they refer to.

The great artists of “their time” made music that changed the way people looked at the world and it’s hard to argue with them; there are not a lot of musicians changing the world anymore.

But as long as Bob Dylan is still making music, at least we have a point to argue with.

Dylan has been making music longer than most of us have been alive with Modern Times being his thirty-first studio album.

He has a fantastic raspy voice that shows the strain and age of the musician inside of him.

He sings of pain and suffering and of our struggle to endure as human beings, whether it be mental or literal, and it seems fitting.

You can’t listen to Modern Times without thinking about Hurricane Katrina or 9/11, yet, the music is beautiful and slow – unlike either of those events.

Its clear Dylan isn’t trying to accompany his subject-heavy lyrics with heavy music; he can afford to keep it simple and let each individual piece of the puzzle speak for itself.

It’s hard to be critical of any of the ten songs on Modern Times, they provide the album with a sense of casualness and cool that rarely exists in music today. And maybe that is because Dylan has been making music for so long, it’s in his blood.

Dylan is arguably one of the greatest songwriters of all time.

Whether or not his songs speak to this generation as well as they did to his is, in a sense, irrelevant. If you find yourself nodding your head and thinking ‘absolutely’ while listening to Modern Times, then it doesn’t matter: Dylan proves to be timeless.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...