UMNEWS – Community leader gives $1 million to support UM ethics program

President Donna E. Shalala announced on Wednesday a $1 million gift from community leader Adrienne Arsht, chairman of the Board of Directors of TotalBank, to benefit the University of Miami’s Ethics Programs. Ms. Arsht’s gift, one of the largest supporting ethics programs in the state of Florida, will fund university-wide, interdisciplinary initiatives that engage students, faculty and the community into a new level of collaborative thinking and research.

“Ethics are at the core of everything we do. By incorporating ethics into most fields of study, the University of Miami is providing a vision for leadership in this community,” Arsht said in a press release. “My hope for this endeavor is that students from across all of UM’s campuses will have a core understanding of ethics as it relates to all aspects of their lives.”

“Adrienne’s leadership in our community continues with her gift,” Shalala said in the release.

The gift creates a platform for expanded university-wide, interdisciplinary programs. It will enhance a program that has been in existence at UM for 15 years under the leadership of Anita Cava of the School of Business and Ken Goodman of the Miller School of Medicine and Department of Philosophy, College of Arts and Sciences.