Tekotte breaks through with two huge home runs

Miami leftfielder Blake Tekotte was demoted to ninth in the batting order in March because of his struggles at the plate. Tekotte helped remedy his offensive slump by hitting two solo homers in a 7-5 series-clinching win against rival Florida State April 16.

“The rivalry doesn’t get any bigger,” Tekotte said. “To go into an atmosphere like that; it was just awesome.”

On the season, Tekotte is batting .278 with four homers and 20 RBI. Tekotte is a threat to steal; he has been successful on 9 of 13 attempts.

Tekotte was overshadowed coming to Miami by fellow freshmen Jemile Weeks and Yonder Alonso. Weeks was an eighth-round draft pick by the Milwaukee Brewers and his brother, Rickie, is a current major leaguer.

Alonso was tabbed as a power hitter and came in as a 15th round selection by the Minnesota Twins. Tekotte was simply the small town kid from Missouri.

“I didn’t have all the pressure that Jemile or Yonder had,” Tekotte said. “Being from Missouri, not that many people knew that much about me.”

Tekotte is a big fish in a small pond back home. Not only did Tekotte play baseball, but he was also the star quarterback for his high school. In Tekotte’s senior year, he led both his baseball and football teams to state titles.

A trip to the Area Code Games in California brought Tekotte to Miami. In Tekotte’s first game, against Weeks’ team, he laced a single and stole second and third. Tekotte’s hustle caught the eye of Assistant Coach Gino DiMare.

“Gino likes to steal bases,” Tekotte said. “He likes the small fast guys.”

Baseball is in Tekotte’s blood. His grandfather tried out for the St. Louis Cardinals, but chose to come home and give up baseball for the birth of his son, Blake. Tekotte’s father played baseball and football at Illinois State University.

Tekotte also has a cousin that played for the Houston Astros in 2000.

The lefty came to Miami last fall and went through the grueling workouts that started at 5:30 a.m. and included a variety of drills to increase endurance.

“In the fall we ran our butts off,” Tekotte said. “I think our hard work will show now.”

Ultimately, Tekotte said he is unfazed by the big stage of Miami or the responsibilities of being a freshman starter.

“Different state, different field, different uniform, but it’s the same game,” Tekotte said.

Denis Brown can be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...