Rochester dean appointed vice provost

William Scott Green, current dean of the College at the University of Rochester in New York, will move to the University of Miami in July after accepting the positions of senior vice provost and dean of undergraduate education.

The dean of undergraduate education is a new position created to enhance the quality of undergraduate life and implementing co-curriculum initiatives.

“Bill has a deep and comprehensive record in undergraduate education,” Thomas J. LeBlanc, executive vice president and provost, said. “He has done it all, teaching, research, fieldwork, administration, advising, mentoring, and he has done so brilliantly.

“His experience and energy, and most importantly, his ability to bring various constituencies together, will help realize a shared and comprehensive vision for the future.”

Green said he is enthusiastic about his move to UM and the future of the university with his involvement.

“It’s a very exciting opportunity. This is a university on the move with exciting new possibilities,” he said. “The opportunity came at a good time in my career.”

Green will also be teaching a course on religion during the fall semester.

“I’m looking forward to teaching,” Green said. “I will probably teach a course on entrepreneurship in the spring.”

In a visit to the university earlier in the semester, he met with students and faculty who began to discuss possible areas of improvement.

“There are whole set of issues I need to get in closely,” Green said. “I had a prelim meeting when I visited Miami and I learned a few things learn from people about where I can be most helpful.”

Green will also be working with Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, primarily to work on co-curriculum structures.

“[The university] is setting high standards for itself,” Green said. “It’s the best possible environment to come into.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...