Dean of students to retire

After 43 years as a dedicated and committed member of the Hurricane family, Dean William W. Sandler Jr. will retire in July.

Sandler first came to UM in 1962 after accepting the role of assistant dean of men. He later held positions such as dean of student personnel and associate dean of students before becoming the dean of students in 1989.

During his time at the university, Sandler has been a leader, working to institute new programs for the betterment of the university community. He is responsible for establishing the student Honor Council in 1986 and co-founding the Center for Alcohol and Drug Education.

“Bill has always cared so deeply about UM, and I think anyone who has worked with him knows the discipline he implements,” said Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs.

Bob DuBord, associate director of residence halls and financial adviser for The Hurricane, also said Sandler’s continued commitment to the university through his actions.

“He is a person who cares about the university and its students and staff,” DuBord said. “He is constantly striving to make it a better place for students to receive an excellent education.”

However, Sandler contributed to the university in more than just academic efforts.

During his time, Sandler also encouraged the growth of Greek life on the university campus. The Panhellenic Council received much of its leadership and support from Sandler, who once won the Panhellenic Council Administrator of the Year Award.

Sandler also participated in activities as simple as lighting tours, which involve walking around campus recording which light fixtures need bulb replacements.

Speaker of the Senate John Constantinide, who has accompanied Sandler on these tours, said Sandler never seemed to mind going out at 7 p.m. to take care of a broken light.

“He’s even involved in those small parts of university life that students wouldn’t even think existed,” Constantinide said.

Sandler’s absolute, steadfast calmness has helped the university in times of crisis. One of his responsibilities is handling emergencies regarding students, and in such situations, community members said Sandler went above and beyond his duties.

In 1992, two students were killed and others injured in a car accident while on spring break in Canc

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...