Update: Freeman to stay

Miami quarterback Kirby Freeman will remain a Hurricane.

Announcing his commitment to the program on Friday morning, Freeman decided that it was best for him and his family to remain in the orange and green.

Freeman, who will enter his red shirt sophomore season, hinted a month ago that he may decide to transfer. But changes to the offense and talks with the coaching staff contributed to his decision to stay.

“I feel like I can be a real asset to the program,” Freeman said. “In the past I felt like I was part of a show I didn’t necessarily belong in. Now I feel like I can contribute.”

Freeman’s return is good news because entering next season, starting quarterback Kyle Wright and Freeman are the only two scholarship quarterbacks besides incoming freshman Daniel Stegal.

Head Coach Larry Coker said Freeman may even see his own package of plays on offense. Freeman has strong running ability, and plays of that nature could be designed next season for the Texas native.

Freeman was shaky in the annual Spring Game, completing just six of 17 passes for 26 yards and two interceptions. He also rushed four times for 25 yards.

Douglas C Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...