Update: Freeman to stay

Miami quarterback Kirby Freeman will remain a Hurricane.

Announcing his commitment to the program on Friday morning, Freeman decided that it was best for him and his family to remain in the orange and green.

Freeman, who will enter his red shirt sophomore season, hinted a month ago that he may decide to transfer. But changes to the offense and talks with the coaching staff contributed to his decision to stay.

“I feel like I can be a real asset to the program,” Freeman said. “In the past I felt like I was part of a show I didn’t necessarily belong in. Now I feel like I can contribute.”

Freeman’s return is good news because entering next season, starting quarterback Kyle Wright and Freeman are the only two scholarship quarterbacks besides incoming freshman Daniel Stegal.

Head Coach Larry Coker said Freeman may even see his own package of plays on offense. Freeman has strong running ability, and plays of that nature could be designed next season for the Texas native.

Freeman was shaky in the annual Spring Game, completing just six of 17 passes for 26 yards and two interceptions. He also rushed four times for 25 yards.

Douglas C Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...