Update: Freeman to stay

Miami quarterback Kirby Freeman will remain a Hurricane.

Announcing his commitment to the program on Friday morning, Freeman decided that it was best for him and his family to remain in the orange and green.

Freeman, who will enter his red shirt sophomore season, hinted a month ago that he may decide to transfer. But changes to the offense and talks with the coaching staff contributed to his decision to stay.

“I feel like I can be a real asset to the program,” Freeman said. “In the past I felt like I was part of a show I didn’t necessarily belong in. Now I feel like I can contribute.”

Freeman’s return is good news because entering next season, starting quarterback Kyle Wright and Freeman are the only two scholarship quarterbacks besides incoming freshman Daniel Stegal.

Head Coach Larry Coker said Freeman may even see his own package of plays on offense. Freeman has strong running ability, and plays of that nature could be designed next season for the Texas native.

Freeman was shaky in the annual Spring Game, completing just six of 17 passes for 26 yards and two interceptions. He also rushed four times for 25 yards.

Douglas C Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...