UMNEWS – April enlightens community to autism research, family support

The University of Miami’s Center for Autism and Related Disabilities honors community supporters of research and education as part of Autism Awareness Month.

Parents are the first to notice the warning signs of developmental delays. Their baby seems “different,” has trouble interacting socially with others and focuses heavily on repetitive behaviors like spinning objects. Autism is a lifelong neurological disorder that affects one out of 166 children in the United States.

The University of Miami/ Nova Southeastern University Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (UM/NSU CARD) strives to identify the underlying causes of the disorder and to increase its public awareness.

UM/NSU CARD provides free family support, outreach, and educational support services to children and adults of all levels of intellectual functioning who have autism and autistic-like disabilities. Services for families throughout Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe Counties include family support, technical assistance and consultation, parent and professional training programs, and public education activities.

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...