Orchestra delivers its Latin heat

With Latin, jazz and salsa on the program for the evening, an enthusiastic crowd packed Maurice Gusman Hall Thursday night to enjoy a variety of big band hits by the Salsa Orchestra.

Since 1993, the 12-piece orchestra, with more than 20 musicians, nine vocalists and 60 band charts has brought its flavor of Latin music to South Florida. The University of Miami Salsa Orchestra is led by director, composer and arranger Alberto de la Reguera.

Reguera has won many awards, including Musical Director of the Year in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The performance included guest artists Alexander Pope Norris, Dante Luciani and Ruben Trillo. These professional singers and musicians have traveled the world performing with various artists from Frank Sinatra to Natalie Cole.

Nine singers, four female and five male, lined the front of the stage with the orchestra behind them. The girls wore bright, festive dresses that swayed with their entertaining dance moves, and the guys were in white guayabera shirts (traditional Cuban attire). Their salsa steps complemented their voices. Their feet never stopped moving throughout the entire performance.

Cristina Flores, a sophomore in the School of Music, and first time singer with the band, displayed smile and enthusiasm throughout her performance.

From the sultry Spanish solos to trombone solos, saxophone and drums, band members had a chance to show off their skills to an applauding audience.

The festive d

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...