Elsewhere – Researchers discover obesity gene

By Lisa Davis

The Daily Free Press (Boston U.)

(U-WIRE) BOSTON-Led by Boston University professors over an 18-month period, a group of scientists has found a link between a new genetic variant and obesity affecting 10 percent of the American population.

The study was conducted by 23 international scientists. There were about 100,000 participants from six different populations through the Framingham Heart Study.

“This is the first time that anyone has found a variation that is very common in many people,” Genetics and Genomics Department Chair Michael Christman said. “It’s one of the first studies that looked at the whole genome.”

Harvard School of Public Health biostatistics professor Nan Laird said the study was unique.

“We designed statistical methods, and it was our first opportunity to try it on real data,” she said. “I think of it as finding a piece of the puzzle.”

Laird said she believes the role of genetics versus environmental factors in obesity is “somewhat controversial.”

“There’s a tendency in society to discriminate against people who are obese,” Christman said. “What you eat and exercise is still part of the equation.”

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...