Sandler’s successor selected

Ricardo D. Hall will be the new dean of students effective July 10, administrators told The Hurricane Monday. He will be replacing Dean William W. Sandler Jr., who is retiring this summer after working in the university for 43 years, 17 of those as dean of students.

Hall, originally from Cleveland, Ohio, is the associate dean of student services at Wake Forest University.

“I’m really excited about joining this community of people,” Hall said in phone interview Tuesday. “I’m looking forward to learning about the campus culture and the community culture.”

Hall will be working under Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs. Whitely said Hall was “the unequivocal first choice” of the dean of students search committee.

“We are thrilled that he has accepted our offer to join the university family,” Whitely said. “I have no doubt he will be a stellar dean of students. The students at Wake Forest gave him rave reviews.”

Hall holds a doctorate in educational leadership from Clemson University and a B.B.A. in business management from Ohio University. Before working in his current position, he was assistant dean of students and an academic advisor at Wake Forest, associate director of judicial services at Clemson, and residence director at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

“Dr. Hall will have a profound impact on the culture and spirit of our university,” said Terri-Ann Bennett, senior, president of United Black Students and student trustee. “His appointment is proof that we are a part of a progressive and conscientious institution. Too bad I won’t be here to enjoy his tenure.”

The new dean said he looks forward to working face-to-face with students.

“I think student affairs is about interacting with students,” Hall said. “Not across a desk or through written correspondence, but seeing what the true pulse is of the undergraduate student body.”

Hall visited the university for the first time from March 1 to 3, where he met with administrators, faculty, staff, and student leaders. After this visit, the new dean said he was impressed by the focus on student life at the university.

“From the administration, from the faculty, it was clear that Miami is very much a student-centered environment,” Hall said. “The things that are done with an academic emphasis, with a student affairs emphasis, are done with an interest in bettering the student experiences at Miami.

“Everything from programming, to course selection, to the work of the resident masters and academic deans.we didn’t have conversations that you might have at other institutions about maximizing money but about bettering student experiences. I was very impressed by that,” he said.

Of his achievements at Wake Forest, Hall said he is proud of students getting to know him and coming to him for advice and advising.

Once he arrives at Miami, Hall said he plans to review UM’s policies and procedures to understand the university’s system, which he said is a little different from systems he has worked with before.

The dean of students’ office runs the center for alcohol and drug education; Greek affairs; the honor council; the chaplains’ association, and student judicial and disciplinary affairs.

Hall will move to Miami with his wife and three daughters, ages 8, 7, and one month.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at pmazzei@miami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...