Recap: UM vs. FSU

TALLAHASSEE-Clinging to a 7-5 lead with two runners on in the ninth inning, a flu-ridden Chris Perez unleashed a radar gun-busting fastball to strike out Florida State’s Dennis Guinn and preserve a crucial series win for Miami.

Perez, who was too sick to leave the hotel Saturday, nailed down victories for Carlos Gutierrez and Scott Maine on Friday and Sunday to lead the Hurricanes past the No. 2 Seminoles. Gutierrez allowed two runs on five hits in six innings to improve to 8-3, while Maine overcame a rocky first inning to strike out a career-high eight and pick up his sixth victory. Both starters dealt with hostile crowds at Dick Howser Stadium.

As a staff, the Hurricanes struck out 13 Seminoles on Sunday.

Freshman left fielder Blake Tekotte emerged from a 7-for-51 slump with a pair of home runs, highlighting a 3-for-4 afternoon. Tekotte’s three hits tied a career high. Junior designated hitter Richard O’Brien blasted a home run and knocked in two runs to help reduce FSU starter Barret Browning to his shortest outing (three innings) of the year.

Friday’s win featured another dramatic moment for Miami. Trailing 2-1 in the fifth inning against Florida State ace Bryan Henry, Danny Valencia jacked a 3-2 fastball off the left field scoreboard with the bases loaded for his first career grand slam and a 5-2 Hurricane advantage. Valencia’s grand slam was the first the Seminoles have allowed this season.

FSU made it interesting in the last few innings, however. Buster Posey doubled off the high wall in right field to score All-America Shane Robinson in the seventh to make it a 5-3 game. Perez entered for the eighth and ninth innings and loaded the bases in each frame. The junior closer induced a Robinson fly out in the eighth and escaped from the ninth with a force out at second to clinch the series opener.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...