New fraternity invited to UM campus

The fraternity expansion committee voted last Thursday on which organization would be added to the university’s Greek life. After deliberation, they extended an invitation to Beta Theta Pi to join 11 other fraternities on campus in the fall of 2006.

“We are very grateful and thankful [for]the committee’s final decision,” said J.B. Scherpelz, Beta Theta Pi director of expansion and recruitment. “We are a strong organization and we look forward to building a strong fraternity and adding to the entire community.”

Beta, the fraternity’s nickname, received the majority of the committee vote.

According to the committee, the determining factors of the decision were the fraternity’s strong national reputation, commitment to leadership programs and opportunities and the number of alumni in the area who will volunteer as advisors.

“What appealed most was that they will fit really well on our campus,” Jeff Jenkins, Interfraternity Council (IFC) president, said.

Beta will start off as a colony, the term used for a new fraternity chapter. The colony will not receive its full charter until it achieves the goals set by the fraternal administrative organization. These goals can range from attaining a certain grade point average to completing a community service requirement.

More than 30 alumni, advisors and national representatives will work with the IFC to help get the colony settled.

Jenkins said that the IFC and Beta will have a symbiotic relationship to help nurture the process, until the fraternity establishes itself.

“Beta will help draw more attention to our already successful Greek community,” said Kara Miller, coordinator for Greek affairs. “They are a strong organization and their strength can only enhance the community.”

An invitation was also extended to Pi Kappa Phi fraternity for fall 2008. Pi Kappa Phi was one of the four finalists who presented before the expansion committee.

The Greek community hopes to expand by adding one new organization every two years.

Megan Ondrizek can be contacted at m.ondrizek@umiami.edu.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...