UMNEWS – Dean Peragallo named to National Institutes of Health board

Nilda P. Peragallo, dean of the School of Nursing and Health Studies, has been appointed by the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services to serve on the National Advisory Council to the National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NCMHD). In this distinguished position, Peragallo will consult and provide advice to the National Institutes of Health director, with a major responsibility to review and make recommendations regarding grants for biomedical research and research training activities to improve minority health. The term is for five years.

An internationally renowned researcher on HIV/AIDS prevention in Latino women, Peragallo is widely recognized for her leadership on minority health issues. Among her numerous professional distinctions, she is an officer of the National Coalition of Ethnic Minority Nurse Associations, immediate past president of the National Association of Hispanic Nurses, and founder and co-editor of the journal Hispanic Health Care International.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...