In loving memory of Ashley Kelly

Ashley was a promising freshman at UM on April 11, 2005, when she was struck and killed by a car in the crosswalk of U.S. 1 at Mariposa. At the time of her passing, she had been named to the President’s Honor Roll, awaited induction into the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and pursued a double major in journalism and political science with an eye toward contributing her inestimable talent to the betterment of her fellow man. She loved the sea, sand, surf, and sunsets, being an experienced scuba diver who experienced withdrawals whenever separated from her beloved shoreline. Ashley was salutatorian of the 2004 graduating class at Naples High School where she was captain of the state-finalist Mock Trial team, senior class Treasurer, and involved in the National Honor Society, Teen Advisory Council, Teen Court of Collier County, and other academic and community activities too numerous to mention. She had received countless commendations for her many academic achievements.

Ashley possessed the rare gift of coupling formidable intellect with heartfelt compassion in a manner that would have assured the accomplishment of all her aims. She employed this gift with such grace and dignity to engender love from those she knew and respect from those she encountered. Ashley was a daughter who far exceeded that which a parent could ever expect or deserve, a sister who served as an exemplary role model, a student who was a teacher’s dream, and a friend that a friend would love to have. She will always be cherished and remembered for her love of life, family, and friends.

As part of her high school graduation speech, Ashley stated “Regardless of which path we take in life, we hope to be remembered as someone who makes a difference in our time”. Certainly, she made a difference in her short time not only in the world around her but also the lives she touched.

Sherri Kelly is Ashley Kelly’s mother.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...