UMNEWS – National public health expert joins UM faculty

Claude E. Fox, the founder of the Johns Hopkins Urban Health Institute, has been named a research professor in the department of epidemiology and public health.

“We are very fortunate to have been able to recruit, with the assistance of University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala, one of the finest public health specialists in the nation,” said Clyde McCoy, Ph.D., professor and chairman of the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health. “We’re extremely excited about the new ventures that he will help lead as we approach this new era with enthusiasm and commitment to quality public health for all Floridians.”

Fox served in two high-profile positions at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services while Shalala was Secretary of HHS. From 1995 through 1997 he was a deputy assistant secretary for health and a key player in setting the Healthy People 2010 health care objectives for the nation. In 1997 he took over as administrator for the department’s Health Resources and Services Administration. The federal health agency had 1,800 employees and a growing $6 billion budget. He served as administrator until 2001 when he joined Johns Hopkins University.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...