LETTER TO THE EDITOR

I cannot disagree more with the column “Where Eye Contact Can Go Wrong…Horribly Wrong.” I find you authoritative tone on social dynamics and human relations offensive and pompous. Passages like “I mean the socially inept individuals, and they know who they are (do they, really?) who just have no way of functioning,” are extremely arrogant descriptions of people you do not truly know. Perhaps you are passing too quick a judgement? And futhermore, who are you to say who is or is not “socially indept”? What exactly are the parameters of “functioning like a normal human being”? Did you somehwere lay these rules down in stone while the rest of us wer ebeing socially mis-calibrated? It is obvious that you have no researched animal mating rituals or the function of prolonged eye contact in evolutionary biology. So let me educate you. In the animal kingdom, prolonged eye contact means one of two things: I am going to fight you, or I am going to mate with you. This was hor our ancestors go the job done before the advent of language and chessy pick-up lines. That “creepy” feeling yo usay you get when someone stres at you only proves empirically that this method of sub communication still is effective. Your final passage, “If you do not know a person, it is under no circumstances OK to just continue to stare at them all the time, making them feel not only awkward, but want to kill themselves,” is absolutely ridiculous. It is irresponsible to publish such a thing in a newspaper where God forbid, someone might take you seriously. And if people staring at you makes you want to commit suicide, I can scarcely believe that you survived thus far. Strong eye contact is one of the hallmarks of the World’s greatest businessmen and seducers. The storied seducer Lord Byron had his infamous “underlook” which could liteally make a woman tremble with desire. The next time you decide to publish an article where you position youself as some sort of guru, do your research.

Justin Skylar Wu

Sophomore

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...