LETTER TO THE EDITOR

I cannot disagree more with the column “Where Eye Contact Can Go Wrong…Horribly Wrong.” I find you authoritative tone on social dynamics and human relations offensive and pompous. Passages like “I mean the socially inept individuals, and they know who they are (do they, really?) who just have no way of functioning,” are extremely arrogant descriptions of people you do not truly know. Perhaps you are passing too quick a judgement? And futhermore, who are you to say who is or is not “socially indept”? What exactly are the parameters of “functioning like a normal human being”? Did you somehwere lay these rules down in stone while the rest of us wer ebeing socially mis-calibrated? It is obvious that you have no researched animal mating rituals or the function of prolonged eye contact in evolutionary biology. So let me educate you. In the animal kingdom, prolonged eye contact means one of two things: I am going to fight you, or I am going to mate with you. This was hor our ancestors go the job done before the advent of language and chessy pick-up lines. That “creepy” feeling yo usay you get when someone stres at you only proves empirically that this method of sub communication still is effective. Your final passage, “If you do not know a person, it is under no circumstances OK to just continue to stare at them all the time, making them feel not only awkward, but want to kill themselves,” is absolutely ridiculous. It is irresponsible to publish such a thing in a newspaper where God forbid, someone might take you seriously. And if people staring at you makes you want to commit suicide, I can scarcely believe that you survived thus far. Strong eye contact is one of the hallmarks of the World’s greatest businessmen and seducers. The storied seducer Lord Byron had his infamous “underlook” which could liteally make a woman tremble with desire. The next time you decide to publish an article where you position youself as some sort of guru, do your research.

Justin Skylar Wu

Sophomore

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...