LETTER TO THE EDITOR

I cannot disagree more with the column “Where Eye Contact Can Go Wrong…Horribly Wrong.” I find you authoritative tone on social dynamics and human relations offensive and pompous. Passages like “I mean the socially inept individuals, and they know who they are (do they, really?) who just have no way of functioning,” are extremely arrogant descriptions of people you do not truly know. Perhaps you are passing too quick a judgement? And futhermore, who are you to say who is or is not “socially indept”? What exactly are the parameters of “functioning like a normal human being”? Did you somehwere lay these rules down in stone while the rest of us wer ebeing socially mis-calibrated? It is obvious that you have no researched animal mating rituals or the function of prolonged eye contact in evolutionary biology. So let me educate you. In the animal kingdom, prolonged eye contact means one of two things: I am going to fight you, or I am going to mate with you. This was hor our ancestors go the job done before the advent of language and chessy pick-up lines. That “creepy” feeling yo usay you get when someone stres at you only proves empirically that this method of sub communication still is effective. Your final passage, “If you do not know a person, it is under no circumstances OK to just continue to stare at them all the time, making them feel not only awkward, but want to kill themselves,” is absolutely ridiculous. It is irresponsible to publish such a thing in a newspaper where God forbid, someone might take you seriously. And if people staring at you makes you want to commit suicide, I can scarcely believe that you survived thus far. Strong eye contact is one of the hallmarks of the World’s greatest businessmen and seducers. The storied seducer Lord Byron had his infamous “underlook” which could liteally make a woman tremble with desire. The next time you decide to publish an article where you position youself as some sort of guru, do your research.

Justin Skylar Wu

Sophomore

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...