LETTER TO THE EDITOR

I cannot disagree more with the column “Where Eye Contact Can Go Wrong…Horribly Wrong.” I find you authoritative tone on social dynamics and human relations offensive and pompous. Passages like “I mean the socially inept individuals, and they know who they are (do they, really?) who just have no way of functioning,” are extremely arrogant descriptions of people you do not truly know. Perhaps you are passing too quick a judgement? And futhermore, who are you to say who is or is not “socially indept”? What exactly are the parameters of “functioning like a normal human being”? Did you somehwere lay these rules down in stone while the rest of us wer ebeing socially mis-calibrated? It is obvious that you have no researched animal mating rituals or the function of prolonged eye contact in evolutionary biology. So let me educate you. In the animal kingdom, prolonged eye contact means one of two things: I am going to fight you, or I am going to mate with you. This was hor our ancestors go the job done before the advent of language and chessy pick-up lines. That “creepy” feeling yo usay you get when someone stres at you only proves empirically that this method of sub communication still is effective. Your final passage, “If you do not know a person, it is under no circumstances OK to just continue to stare at them all the time, making them feel not only awkward, but want to kill themselves,” is absolutely ridiculous. It is irresponsible to publish such a thing in a newspaper where God forbid, someone might take you seriously. And if people staring at you makes you want to commit suicide, I can scarcely believe that you survived thus far. Strong eye contact is one of the hallmarks of the World’s greatest businessmen and seducers. The storied seducer Lord Byron had his infamous “underlook” which could liteally make a woman tremble with desire. The next time you decide to publish an article where you position youself as some sort of guru, do your research.

Justin Skylar Wu

Sophomore

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...