UMNEWS Professor awarded distinction for engineering accomplishments

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) has elected Baruch B. Lieber, Ph.D., professor of Biomedical Engineering and Radiology, a Fellow. The Fellow grade is the highest elected grade of membership within ASME, which recognizes exceptional engineering achievements.
Lieber has been a very active leader in the bioengineering field. During Lieber’s 18 year career he has published 45 refereed journal papers, more than 140 conference proceedings and three book chapters. In addition, he is on the editorial board of critical reviews of Biomedical Engineering and a co-editor of a book series on neurovascular disease.
He has secured more than $8 million in research funds and holds two patents and has four patent applications in process.
He has served in various capacities as a consultant to various medical device companies such as Embolic protection Inc, Cordis Neurovascular, Target Boston Scientific and Microvention.
Lieber has been an active ASME member since 1987 sitting on the ASME engineering technical committees and has helped organize various technical sessions.