Strike update: Meeting results in dead end

A meeting held Friday between students, faculty, workers and representatives from the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and UNICCO resulted in a dead end, with no agreements made.

A follow-up meeting will be held on Tuesday as both sides mull their strategy in the campaign to unionize UNICCO workers.

What exactly was discussed was not disclosed due to a confidentiality agreement, but both sides revealed their thoughts on the meeting and what they saw needed to be done to make progress.

“It was really unproductive,” said Tanya Aquino of STAND. “Everyone was willing to concede except for UNICCO.

“Everyone else, from Jake [Coker-Dukowitz, of STAND], to the law professors, to SEIU even, were making huge concessions, but there was nothing being offered on the side of UNICCO,” Aquino said. “We’re really in a bind because, until the university steps up, this is not going to change.”

Renee Asher, of SEIU media and press relations, weighed in on the progress.

“Very little progress was made, but they did, however, keep talking, which is good, and we’ll talk again on Tuesday,” she said.

However, Asher said she has little faith in the university’s commitment to resolving the issue.

“It’s clear to me that the university’s just wasting time on this,” she said. “It’s hurtful to the students, I feel like they lied to us. UNICCO refused to be an active participant, and it’s making the students very frustrated and restless.”

Doug Bailey, UNICCO spokesman, disagreed.

“[The discussion is] continuous,” he said. “It didn’t come to a resolution; it dealt with mostly the same issue of card check versus elections, which was right and which was wrong, and the unfair labor practices. We were trying to make our case, but really, it didn’t reach any conclusion and will continue…on Tuesday.”

Bailey also elaborated on the issue of card checks.

“There’s a lot of confusion,” he said. “We’ve done card checks before, and the union has done elections before. We brought a worker, and it was a woman who got signatures from 99 other workers that said they didn’t want a union.

“We felt like we could make a case for elections, but I don’t think we were very convincing. Everyone’s made up their mind; nobody’s got an open mind about this.”

As the meeting on Tuesday draws near, STAND and SEIU representatives said they are considering different options, one of which might be a hunger strike.

“I can tell you that nine of the janitors have committed to joining a community hunger fast,” Asher said.

“It signifies how important it is,” she said. “This is not something that’s just semantics, or words-this is really about the fundamental human rights we all have, and what are we going to do when those rights are threatened? We’re going to stand together as a community and say ‘no.'”

Coker-Dukowitz said he is also considering the hunger strike option.

“Students are considering it as well,” he said. “If we have five students and about 15 workers, we might take up public space on U.S. 1.”

In spite of this option, Coker-Dukowitz said he remains hopeful of the talks.

“I honestly do believe that UM is now realizing that students will be in this longer than they realized, and we’re going to push for self-determination in terms of card check,” he said.

The university declined to comment on the meeting.

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...