Busy weekend for both tennis programs

High-profile matchups are scheduled for Friday as the Miami men’s and women’s tennis teams are slated to face number No. 4 Duke and No. 13 Georgia Tech respectively.

Match play begins for the men at 10 a.m. with doubles play followed by singles. In the same format, the women start at 2 p.m.

The action begins in the morning with the men in doubles, where Miami enters with two opportunities. In the No. 1 spot will be junior Luigi D’Agord and freshman Daniel Vallverdu facing the 29th-ranked team of junior Joey Attas and senior Jonathan Stokke. On court two, Miami senior Eric Hechtman will look to extend his record as the Hurricanes’ all-time leader in doubles victories after achieving win 82 last Sunday against Maryland.

Number one singles for the men provides a clash between the fifth and seventh ranked players nationally as Duke’s Ludovic Walter faces D’Agord. Entering the match with D’Agord, Walter has won 10 matches against ranked opponents and is 21-7 in 2006. D’Agord is riding a 10-match winning streak, last defeating Maryland’s Nickolai Nielsen 6-3, 6-2.

On the women’s side, it will be a clash of unbeaten Atlantic Coast Conference teams with the Yellow Jackets coming to Coral Gables boasting a roster with Kristi Miller, a sophomore and the top-ranked women’s player in the country, and senior Lyndsay Shosho in doubles, ranked 12th in the nation. Miller, the first Tech women’s tennis player to be named an All-American, earned the ACC’s Tennis Performer of the Week honors by helping her team go 3-1 last week against ranked opponents.

In the No. 1 doubles spot to start the day will be the duo of Tech’s Miller and Shosho against Miami’s Audra Cohen and senior Melissa Applebaum, ranked 10th in the country.

The main event for the day pits Cohen against Miller for a second time at the No. 1 singles spot, where Cohen is ranked third in the country and has a perfect record at 20-0. In her last match, Cohen downed N.C. State’s Shona Lee 7-6, 6-3.

In Miller’s last outing, she fell to No. 11 Zuzana Zemenova of Baylor in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.

The women’s victor on Friday will stand alone atop the ACC standings.

Both ‘Canes squads will return to action at home Sunday, where the men take on North Carolina at 10 a.m. and the women face Clemson at 11 a.m.

Rodolfo Tomarchio can be contacted at r.tomarchio@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...