Elsewhere – Schools eye minority recruitment programs

By Tiffany Webber

The Chronicle (Duke)

(U-WIRE) DURHAM, N.C.-As admissions officers at colleges and universities across the country put the finishing touches on acceptance, waitlist and rejection letters, the debate about specialized student recruiting rages on.

Although few dispute the importance of holding recruitment programs for prospective scholars, many people affiliated with higher education are beginning to reassess the value of hosting minority recruitment weekends.

“Coming off of the Civil Rights Movement, there was a sense that you can’t expect [minority]students to walk into a newly integrated place and feel like they belonged,” President Richard Brodhead said. “That’s why these recruitment [strategies]started.”

But more than 30 years after integration, some higher education officials are questioning whether programs directed to minority students are still necessary.

“There is no eternally right answer,” Brodhead said.

Many schools, including Duke University, generally maintain that although some drawbacks exist, recruitment programs are beneficial. Others, such as Yale University, have stopped hosting specialized recruitment weekends for minority students, insisting that they present unrealistic perceptions of a university.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...