V for Vendetta proves to be just another action flick

V for Vendetta is the visual equivalent of a political jamboree: The politics aren’t interesting, but the food is tasty.

Hugo Weaving stars opposite Natalie Portman as a masked vigilante storming the streets of fear-induced London spreading the word of a dead radical, Guy Fawkes, a vigilante of his time who attempted to blow up houses of Parliament. The masked vigilante is V, a passionate rebel who intends to finish Guy Fawkes’ explosive campaign and, in doing so, show the world that government should be afraid of the people. Portman plays Evey, who was just an ordinary civilian until V entered the picture. V attempts to recruit Evey, who at first is reluctant to join the cause, but in time finds that the world does in fact need someone like V to set it straight.

V for Vendetta was adapted from the cult graphic novel, which Alan Moore wrote, by the Wachowski brothers. It is a piercing and pushy film with stern viewpoints; and it just so happens to be entertaining. The movie marks the directing debut of James McTeigue, who has worked as an assistant director for the Matrix films. For a first effort, McTeigue has done a commendable job. His methods are showy but not intrusive enough to make the viewer uncomfortable.

The screenplay by the reclusive Wachowski brothers, on the other hand, is edgy and confident, but is sometimes a little too quick to pat itself on the back. Nothing is more irritating than a screenplay that is trying to prove to the viewer how insightful it is; V sometimes crosses that line.

While holding down the fort with enough action and a great pace, there just isn’t anything very surprising about V for Vendetta. Audiences already go into the film knowing what the film is and how it will play out. As an action film, it’s successful because it’s fun and interesting enough to keep all eyes focused on the screen instead of on a watch. As for its political statements, it offers nothing new (wait, dictators are bad?).

Although the insights are limited, V for Vendetta still manages to pack a punch. And considering it’s a March release, that’s all anyone should ask of it.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...