Tennis shuts out Denver at home

Miami’s tennis teams enjoyed a clean sweep of Denver on Wednesday at Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Both teams were in top form after wins against the University of Tennessee and the University of North Carolina, respectively.

“We aren’t the same team we were in the beginning of the semester,” Audra Cohen said. “We are all playing as a unit. Hopefully we can take that confidence through the rest of the season.”

The women’s team improved its winning streak to nine matches in a row and ran its record to 12-3, 4-0 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Intercollegiate Tennis Association released its latest poll this week with Miami ranked seventh, the highest ranking for women’s tennis at UM since 1989.

“I have been around athletics long enough to know that it really doesn’t matter where you are in March; it matters where you are in May,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews.

Yaroshuk-Tews said the coaching staff preached focus to avoid a let down.

Cohen provided a spark at No. 1 singles, winning 6-1, 6-1 over No. 89 Suzana Maksovic, Denver’s only nationally-ranked player.

“We are constantly preparing for the future,” Cohen said. “We are using this match as a warm up for our matches this weekend.”

This weekend includes a trip to Wake Forest on Saturday and North Carolina State on Sunday.

The men’s team dropped only one set against Denver. John Hoyes won the tiebreaker and match over Stever Flaks 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6).

“We came off of a big win against Tennessee, a solid win for our program,” Head Coach Mario Rincon said. “There [could have been]a let down today, but overall our guys played great.”

The Hurricanes continue to improve as the season progresses, winning their last four matches and eight of their last nine. The win streak propelled Miami to No. 14 in the newest ITA rankings.

“We are probably going to peak at the right time, for the end of the season and the NCAA tournament,” Rincon said.

Rincon said he is getting his team ready for not only Boston College on Friday and Maryland on Sunday, but the rest of the season.

“We need to stay focused, healthy, take care of our school work and keep improving,” Rincon said. “Playing the top 20 programs, if you don’t improve week to week, someone is catching up to you.”

Denis Brown can be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...