Student Center is a necessary upgrade

From March 27 to 30, students will have the opportunity to shape the future of UM. A referendum will ask students whether they would approve a $150 hike in student activity fees starting in 2009 as a way of funding nearly half the cost (UM would cover approximately about $50 million) of a proposed beefed-up University Center. In an effort to mirror its success with the construction of the Wellness Center, UM would complete the first phase of the project-a multi-story student activities center-by 2009, serving as added motivation to the student body that they won’t be paying for something they won’t be there to enjoy.

Sandwiched between the UNICCO struggle and spring break, the student referendum has not gotten the publicity that it deserves. You need look no further than the “Frequently Asked Questions” section of the Student Center Referendum to see that the first FAQ is

“Why should I care about this?” (The third question listed, for concerned alcohol aficionados, is “What is going to happen to the Rathskeller?”) Apparently, there is some truth to humor, and humor to truth.

The reason we should care is simple: UM stands to be improved. Among the many needed improvements are a banquet hall that student organizations would be able to use free-of-cost, new office space for a variety of student organizations (shameless plug: a new Hurricane office is among them) and retail space, which UM has been sorely lacking with the exception of the bazaar-like breezeway. What’s more, UM is actively researching student suggestions for other possible additions to the UC/SAC, an excellent opportunity to let the school know what REALLY needs to be done.

The way we see it, the new UC is a must. There’s no reason not to support the improvements proposed. Well, one exception: With the recent spike in student activism around campus, someone is bound to take a stand for the Rat.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...