Stopping the Spartans

Tied 3-3 in the bottom of the sixth, the University of Miami exploded for five runs en route to a 9-4 victory over Michigan State Wednesday night at Mark Light Field.

Jon Jay hit his third home run of the year, a solo shot to left field, to lead the Hurricanes (13-6) to their seventh straight regular season win. Eddy Rodriguez finished 2-for-4 with two runs batted in.

Andrew Lane (1-0) recorded his first victory of the season, tossing 1.2 innings out of the bullpen. Craig Brookes (0-1) suffered the loss for the Spartans (3-5), who fell for the first time since landing in Florida for a seven-game road trip.

Despite the win, UM Head Coach Jim Morris said his team’s performance left much to be desired.

“We are still making too many mistakes, especially on the base paths,” Morris said. “There were some defensive mistakes too that we have to work through. The ACC is the best conference in the country, so we have to get better.”

The Hurricanes fell behind 1-0 in the first when E.J. Daws scored on a passed ball by Rodriguez.

Blake Tekotte tied the score in the bottom half with some heady base running. Jay ripped a single but got into a rundown between first and second base. As Jay was tagged out, Tekotte raced for the plate, easily beating the throw home.

Michigan State seemed on the verge of a big fourth inning, but Orta worked his way out of a first-and-third, no-out jam. Kyle Day was thrown out trying to score on Sean Walker’s ground ball, Oliver Wolcott popped out and Steve Gerstenberger struck out swinging to end the frame.

The Hurricanes took their first lead in the bottom of the fourth. Dennis Raben came through with a two-out single off the right field wall, knocking in Alonso from first base. Rodriguez hit a double for a 3-1 Miami lead.

The Spartans battled back in the fifth against reliever Raudel Alfonso. Daws tripled home Troy Krider and Ryan Basham made it 3-3 with a sacrifice fly.

That’s when Jay made his mark on the evening with a lead-off opposite-field homer in the sixth.

“I got a pretty good pitch to hit,” Jay said. “Hopefully I can get a few more balls out of the park before the season’s done.”

Rodriguez drove in another run with a base hit to knock Brookes out of the game, but the Hurricanes added three more runs off relievers Chris Toepper and Matt Trousch.

Tekotte bunted home Miami’s final run of the night in the eighth inning.

Danny Gil and Jon McLean held the Spartans scoreless over the final 2.1 innings to seal the victory.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...