30 Seconds to Mars: a thing of beauty indeed

Simply put, there hasn’t been a better album to come out in quite some time. 30 Seconds to Mars packs a heavy punch with their sonically profound release A Beautiful Lie. Frontman Jared Leto displays a strong voice that heightens the emotionality of each song and accents their music wonderfully. When he roars over the bands heavy sound, you can’t help but feel the force of this four-piece rock and roll steamroller. Jared Leto is of course well-known for being a Hollywood A-lister, with starring roles in “Alexander,” “Fight Club,” “Requiem For a Dream,” and the TV hit “My So Called Life.” With “A Beautiful Lie,” the band’s second album, Leto shows he and his bandmates have the chops to be the next rock gods.

This disc has a short fuse, and it detonates as soon as you pop it in. “Attack” does just that, as this strong opening number rocks at a level seldom reached by modern bands. Elephantine guitar work and guttural screams make this song potent enough to blow back your hair. None of the tracks on this album are overindulgent or drag on too long. In fact, 30STM has a strong power-pop sound that will leave you hitting rewind at the end of every song. Another album highlight is the title track “A Beautiful Lie,” a sensational example of how genuine Leto’s lyrics are.

John Heslin can be contacted at j.heslin@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...