30 Seconds to Mars: a thing of beauty indeed

Simply put, there hasn’t been a better album to come out in quite some time. 30 Seconds to Mars packs a heavy punch with their sonically profound release A Beautiful Lie. Frontman Jared Leto displays a strong voice that heightens the emotionality of each song and accents their music wonderfully. When he roars over the bands heavy sound, you can’t help but feel the force of this four-piece rock and roll steamroller. Jared Leto is of course well-known for being a Hollywood A-lister, with starring roles in “Alexander,” “Fight Club,” “Requiem For a Dream,” and the TV hit “My So Called Life.” With “A Beautiful Lie,” the band’s second album, Leto shows he and his bandmates have the chops to be the next rock gods.

This disc has a short fuse, and it detonates as soon as you pop it in. “Attack” does just that, as this strong opening number rocks at a level seldom reached by modern bands. Elephantine guitar work and guttural screams make this song potent enough to blow back your hair. None of the tracks on this album are overindulgent or drag on too long. In fact, 30STM has a strong power-pop sound that will leave you hitting rewind at the end of every song. Another album highlight is the title track “A Beautiful Lie,” a sensational example of how genuine Leto’s lyrics are.

John Heslin can be contacted at j.heslin@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...