Tough loss for men’s bball on Senior Day

Senior Robert Hite’s last-second desperation heave from more than 80 feet away on Sunday against Florida State hit the back rim and ricocheted out, seemingly a microcosm of the Hurricanes’ entire season.

Miami tended to fall just short in conference play, as it did on Senior Day, losing to the Seminoles 67-64 at the BankUnited Center.

The Hurricanes (15-14, 7-9) lost six of their last seven regular season games to limp into this week’s ACC Tournament.

Depending on the outcome of Sunday night’s Maryland/Virginia match-up, the Hurricanes will either play Virginia Tech (4-12) or Clemson (7-9) in the first round.

With the victory, FSU (19-8, 9-7) is the fifth seed and plays 12th-ranked Wake Forest after finishing its season winning four of five contests, including a win over No. 1 Duke last week.

Before the game, UM seniors Eric Wilkins, Gary Hamilton, Robert Hite and Lee Butler were recognized for their hard work and determination over the past four years.

Hite shot 8-for-15 from the field and 4-for-7 from behind the arc, finishing with 20 points, five rebounds, two assists and two steals.

“I didn’t want the season to end like this, but we have to keep our heads up and make a strong run in the tournament,” Hite said.

Anthony King shot 4-for-5 from the field and 2-for-4 from the line to finish with 10 points and five rebounds.

“It hurts tremendously to lose [on Senior Day],” King said. “I’m disappointed in myself. I know I should have had a few block-outs for rebounds at the end of the game.”

Hamilton, who fouled out with under a minute left to play, received a standing ovation from the UM fans. He finished his career at Miami with five rebounds, two points, four assists and two steals.

Anthony Harris struggled at point guard for the Hurricanes, missing all four of his shot attempts and committing four turnovers.

Florida State dominated from the free-throw line, hitting 71 percent of its foul shots. The Seminoles went to the stripe 31 times compared to Miami’s 12.

In the first half there were six lead changes and three ties, and the largest lead was six, held by FSU at the 4:44 mark. The Seminoles outscored Miami in the paint 16-14 and led in points off of turnovers 9-2 and second chance points 5-2. The Hurricanes trailed at halftime 35-30.

Florida State was led by its junior forward duo of Alex Johnson and Al Thornton. Thornton shot 8-for-10 from the line and 5-for-11 from the field to finish the game with 18 points and 13 rebounds, only turning the ball over twice. Johnson added 14 points and 10 rebounds.

“You have to make the tough plays to win,” said UM Head Coach Frank Haith. “In close games, those tough plays determine the outcome of the game and you need to convert those opportunities.”

Michael Holt can be contacted at m.holt1@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...