Intramural sports: student friendly?

Freshman year I decided that I would get involved in school activities by playing intramural flag football. I joined the team which was sponsored by the Jewish Student Organization. We played on Sunday afternoons because that was the time that fit all of our schedules. My team that year went undefeated in the regular season. When it came time for the playoffs our first game was scheduled for the night of Yom Kippur, the holiest night of the Jewish religion, which happened to fall on a Sunday. The captain of the team went to ask for the game to be moved and he was told it wasn’t possible and we would have to forfeit. We figured that we couldn’t fight too much because we were in a Sunday league and it was a Sunday. Sophomore year the exact same thing happened.

Junior year I decided that I would get involved in school activities by playing intramural flag football again. I joined the team which was sponsored by the Jewish Student Organization again. We played on Sunday afternoons because that was the time that fit all of our schedules again. See a pattern? It may seem like I don’t learn my lesson, but we do.this time the Jewish holidays fell during the week. This time my team didn’t win a game. We still made the playoff and our first game was scheduled for a Wednesday night, which was the first night of Rosh Hashanah. The captain of the team went to ask for the game to be moved and he was told it wasn’t possible and we would have to forfeit. This time we were really upset because it was a Sunday league: why were we scheduled on a Wednesday night, let alone on Rosh Hashanah?

Spring of this year I joined an intramural basketball team. There are no Jewish holidays that can interfere. It was perfect; we played on Sundays and it worked all right. It came time for the playoffs and our first game was scheduled for 10:30 Monday night. We won, so we advanced and found out that our next game was scheduled for two days later at 7:30 at night. This time it wasn’t a religious problem, at least for the Jews. However, it was Ash Wednesday (at least they don’t discriminate). The bigger problem arises because of classes. Are the players supposed to skip class to play intramurals? We signed up for a Sunday league for a reason.

Why can’t the teams sign up for the times they want if they have to be different from the times they play in the regular season?

Justin Diamond is a junior majoring in management. He can be contacted at j.diamond2@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...