Thrice: Band’s new record yields dynamic, chaotic tour

Thrice is a band on a mission, committed to blasting forth a fresh and atypical sound with every new release. Vheissu, their latest album on the Island label, maintains the group’s devotion to pushing their creative boundaries. This record is a departure from the heavy sound that characterized Thrice’s previous attacks on consumer senses. Rather than crashing down like an anvil, the sounds emanating from Vheissu float and flutter like a feather. Bassist Eddie Breckenridge cites the bands immersion into different styles of music for bringing out this “atmospheric and mood-conscious sound.” “The last record was influenced by heavier bands, but we felt we were neglecting a broader scope of music that we could embrace,” Breckenridge added. This bold transition for Thrice yields sounds diverse as piano, choirs, and even a $2 music box bought on tour in Japan that inspired the track “Music Box.”

A group of friends that met around age 19, love for skateboarding brought the band together, but that quickly evolved into a mutual respect for making music. As the friendship evolved, so did the music. Eddie Breckenride, whose brother Riley plays drums, claims the music has progressively “snowballed” in intensity over the years. Whereas the music has snowballed, so too has the band’s commitment to public service. Since their days on the Sub City label, Thrice has donated proceeds from their albums to a wide array of charities. In a field of prevalent self-absorbedness, Thrice has maintained a humble and society-conscious demeanor throughout their rise to stardom. The boys are less-interested in living a hedonistic rock and roll lifestyle and more in tune with giving. Portions of proceeds from Vheissu are being allocated to 826 Valencia, a tutorial program which helps underprivileged kids improve their communication skills. An appropriate charity for a well-read band whose new album title comes from a Thomas Pynchon novel.

Thrice is co-headlining this year’s Taste of Chaos tour, a trek around the nation which brought the boys to South Florida for a gig at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater this past Sunday. Playing alongside acts like The Deftones and Story of the Year, Thrice put forth a strong set that was well-received by the huge crowd. The cold breeze that blew through the amphitheater and swayed the stage lighting truss was an appropriate backdrop for Thrice’s earth-shaking set. The blistering rocker “Silhouette” was an evening highlight, as Dustin Kensrue and Teppei Teranishi’s searing dual guitar sound worked the crowd into a frenzy. It is clear that Eddie spoke the truth when he said the band gets “more excited about playing live now than ever before.” As Eddie and his mates rocked out, I remembered him saying “Seeing the live show will help fans understand the dynamics of the songs.” Whether live or on record, Thrice is indeed dynamic.

John Heslin can be contacted at j.heslin@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...