Hurricanes nab second straight ACC title

The women’s track and field team won its second consecutive ACC Indoor Championship in Blacksburg, Va., last weekend.

“[Winning the championship] was great. I was really proud of the way the girls stepped up,” said Head Coach Amy Deem. “It was probably one of our best team efforts all the way around.”

The Hurricanes finished with an overall score of 117. The University of North Carolina came in second by 20 points. Two first place wins in the 4 x 400-meter relay and triple jump helped the ‘Canes finish the weekend on top.

Ginou Etienne and Charlette Greggs, both juniors, along with freshmen Krista Simkins and Ena Leufroy, clinched first place in the relay with a time of 3:38.40. The mark was an ACC Championship and university record.

“It was nice to see them break their own school record,” Deem said. “That’s an area we can have a lot of success with at the National Championships. We’re one of the top teams and if we run well, we’ll finish a top team.”

The second first place finish for the Hurricanes came from Tabia Charles in the triple jump. Her final jump was recorded at 13.46 meters. Charles also had a personal best in the long jump but ended up in second.

“She had a personal best in the long jump, but another girl had a personal best that was a little bit longer,” Deem said. “It sets her up really nice for the NCAA Championships next weekend.”

Melanie Schultz had a sixth place finish in the one-mile event.

The Lady ‘Canes came in second and third in the 60-meter dash with India Ransom and Chinela Davis finishing within seconds of one another. In the 200-meter event, Greggs managed a second place finish and Dominique Darden trailed closely in third place. Eitenne and Simkins placed second and seventh respectively in the 400-meter. Pavi’Elle James finished eighth in the 60-meter hurdles.

Brenda Faluade finished third in the jump and Amy Seward placed eighth. Throwers Khadjia Talley and Akera Lathan came in third and fifth respectively.

Charles and the relay team automatically qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championship next weekend.

“This senior class has never lost an indoor championship,” Deem said. “There aren’t many kids in the country that can say they’ve never lost a conference championship. I’m very proud of them.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@miami.edu

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...