Hurricanes nab second straight ACC title

The women’s track and field team won its second consecutive ACC Indoor Championship in Blacksburg, Va., last weekend.

“[Winning the championship] was great. I was really proud of the way the girls stepped up,” said Head Coach Amy Deem. “It was probably one of our best team efforts all the way around.”

The Hurricanes finished with an overall score of 117. The University of North Carolina came in second by 20 points. Two first place wins in the 4 x 400-meter relay and triple jump helped the ‘Canes finish the weekend on top.

Ginou Etienne and Charlette Greggs, both juniors, along with freshmen Krista Simkins and Ena Leufroy, clinched first place in the relay with a time of 3:38.40. The mark was an ACC Championship and university record.

“It was nice to see them break their own school record,” Deem said. “That’s an area we can have a lot of success with at the National Championships. We’re one of the top teams and if we run well, we’ll finish a top team.”

The second first place finish for the Hurricanes came from Tabia Charles in the triple jump. Her final jump was recorded at 13.46 meters. Charles also had a personal best in the long jump but ended up in second.

“She had a personal best in the long jump, but another girl had a personal best that was a little bit longer,” Deem said. “It sets her up really nice for the NCAA Championships next weekend.”

Melanie Schultz had a sixth place finish in the one-mile event.

The Lady ‘Canes came in second and third in the 60-meter dash with India Ransom and Chinela Davis finishing within seconds of one another. In the 200-meter event, Greggs managed a second place finish and Dominique Darden trailed closely in third place. Eitenne and Simkins placed second and seventh respectively in the 400-meter. Pavi’Elle James finished eighth in the 60-meter hurdles.

Brenda Faluade finished third in the jump and Amy Seward placed eighth. Throwers Khadjia Talley and Akera Lathan came in third and fifth respectively.

Charles and the relay team automatically qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championship next weekend.

“This senior class has never lost an indoor championship,” Deem said. “There aren’t many kids in the country that can say they’ve never lost a conference championship. I’m very proud of them.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@miami.edu

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...