UMNEWS – Libraries acquire Brazilian alternative press collection

The University of Miami libraries have acquired the “Leila Miccolis Brazilian Alternative Press Collection.” The collection, now housed in the Otto G. Richter Library’s Special Collections Division, is a rare archive of Brazilian underground journals, periodicals and newspapers produced and circulated during the military dictatorship in the last century.

Prior to its acquisition, this collection, which contains thousands of items, attracted Brazilianists from all over the world to visit renowned poet Leila Miccolis in her home in a remote town in the state of Rio de Janeiro. The collection was accumulated over the course of 45 years by Miccolis who decided to place the archive in a North American university so as to assure the preservation of the collection, as well as to prevent its censorship.

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...