UMNEWS – Libraries acquire Brazilian alternative press collection

The University of Miami libraries have acquired the “Leila Miccolis Brazilian Alternative Press Collection.” The collection, now housed in the Otto G. Richter Library’s Special Collections Division, is a rare archive of Brazilian underground journals, periodicals and newspapers produced and circulated during the military dictatorship in the last century.

Prior to its acquisition, this collection, which contains thousands of items, attracted Brazilianists from all over the world to visit renowned poet Leila Miccolis in her home in a remote town in the state of Rio de Janeiro. The collection was accumulated over the course of 45 years by Miccolis who decided to place the archive in a North American university so as to assure the preservation of the collection, as well as to prevent its censorship.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...