Menendez filling multiple roles for ‘Canes

Gus Menendez is a name not every Hurricane fan might know, but he is an important part of Miami’s baseball team.

Menendez, a junior college transfer from Miami-Dade College, is a part-time starter at DH and a valuable utility infielder. He can play second base, third base and shortstop.

“[Miami-Dade’s] Coach Hertz called us about him,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “We didn’t know where he would play, but we knew he could play all three infield positions.”

Menendez grew up in Coral Gables but had a long trip to get to the college of his choice. His first collegiate season was spent at South Alabama, where he started most of his games as a freshman.

The year he spent at South Alabama taught Menendez responsibility.

“I was living on my own freshman year,” Menendez said. “I was only 17 and I had to take care of my own things and be responsible.”

This was a lesson well learned by Menendez, being responsible for his own growth as well as the development of his teammates on the baseball field.

“He comes out and gives a good effort,” Morris said. “He is a little more advanced then the high school guys. He is a clutch player and keeps his composure at all times.”

An example of his clutch performance came in a loss against Florida on Sunday. The score was 6-4 and two runners were on for Menendez. He calmly laced a double to left field that scored both runs and tied the game up at 6-6 in the fifth inning.

“I enjoy getting my chance to help the team out,” Menendez said. “It makes you feel like you are apart of the team.”

Menendez grew up playing baseball. His father was the first one that got him hooked on playing baseball.

“My dad played,” Menendez said. “My parents are both of Cuban-American descent and that has always been a big sport there.”

Growing up so close to the school, Menendez finally got his chance to play with the team he grew to love.

“I live in Coral Gables so I have always been around this park,” Menendez said. “I grew up watching these guys play. This was my first choice; this is where I wanted to play.”

Denis Brown can be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...