Labs should be worth more credits

My Spanish, organic chemistry and biology classes meet a couple times a week for approximately three hours, and I receive three credits for each. So I figure that the amount of credits I receive equals the time spent in class. So why is it that I spend three hours per week in my biology and chemistry lab classes, yet only receive one credit?

I could rationalize allocating credits if I didn’t have a lot of work for labs, but my lab classes actually require more time than most of my regular three-credit classes. For both biology and organic lab I have a quiz every class, a pre-lab write up, and a lab report due every time we meet. Writing the lab reports and preparing for class takes at least an extra three to four hours as well.

In contrast, my Spanish 211 class, which I receive three credits for, required an hour of homework this week. I have a quiz at the end of the week, which will cover material from class. My quizzes in organic lab ask my knowledge of information not yet discussed in class, but instead about information that will be used later that day in lab. I usually understand how to answer the questions after I conduct the lab, but not before beginning it. Thus, studying for lab quizzes entails more time because the knowledge is being learned for the first time.

I propose that administrators increase the amount of credits received for lab classes. Students will experience greater satisfaction for the time they put into class, and also feel their time is worthwhile. Not only does an increase in credit allotment make logical sense when looking at the hours spent in lab per week, but I feel that the increase would also cause a change in student morale.

Karyn Meshbane is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience. She can be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...