UMNEWS – University of Miami student awarded 2006 Gates Cambridge Scholarship

In October 2006 the sixth annual contingent of new Gates Scholars, selected from countries around the world, will begin graduate studies at the University of Cambridge, England. This week, 40 successful candidates from the U.S. have been offered the opportunity to be among them, as recipients of Gates Cambridge Scholarships. They include Miami’s Arjun Parasher, from Tampa, who plans to pursue a master’s degree in international relations at Cambridge. Arjun is the first University of Miami student to be named a Gates Cambridge Scholar since the program began in 2001.

At Cambridge, Arjun will join fellow Gates Scholars-highly talented young men and women from all over the world-studying a wide range of subjects: arts, science, humanities, social science, technology, and medicine. Their multi-cultural, multi-national presence at Cambridge enlivens and enriches life there in laboratories and libraries, in classroom discussions, at dining-table debates, and on playing fields.