Elsewhere-Bush proposes elimination of Perkins Loans

UWM Post (U. Wisconsin-Milwaukee)

(U-WIRE) MILWAUKEE-For the fourth year in a row, President George W. Bush has proposed cuts to education funding that will affect college access and affordability for students nationwide unless students speak out.

“For those students who still have unmet needs and families who can’t afford to contribute, the Perkins Loans fill in the gap,” said Bruce Caplin, national co-chair of the Coalition of Higher Education Assistance Organizations Grassroots Action Network.

A lobbying firm for schools and other organizations who work to promote access to higher education, COHEAO focuses on legislative and regulatory advocacy for federal Perkins and other campus-based student loan programs.

The Perkins Loan is awarded to students with exceptional financial need. The school acts as the lender using a limited pool of funds provided by the federal government.

“The Perkins Loan is the best student loan available,” Caplin said. It is a subsidized loan, with the interest paid by the federal government during the time a student is in school and the nine-month grace period that follows. There are no fees and the interest rate is five percent over the 10-year repayment period.

Bush’s budget completely eliminates the Perkins Loan program, a program that offers benefits other loans do not. If enacted, more than 670,000 student borrowers would lose out on partial or total loan forgiveness if they became teachers, law enforcement officers or if they serve in the military.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...