Burden of SG elections is on voters

In recent years, the Student Government (SG) elections on our campus have not seemed to be taken as seriously as they should be. Only a fraction of the student body takes the time to actually stop in the Breezeway during the three days of elections to cast their vote for the individuals who will be representing them for the next year and leaving a lasting impression on our campus. Whether you are electing the new SG president or your specific college’s Senate representatives, you should care about who is being put in these spots because if you aren’t happy with something on campus, this is your way to change it.

It doesn’t help the argument that last year we did not even have a debate for the presidential candidates-many students were only able to catch a glimpse of both tickets through the flyers that were passed out or through the brightly colored shirts they received. Granted, this year’s president, vice president, and entire executive branch have done a fantastic job and delivered on the promises they made to us last year (the new and amazing weekend beach shuttle, longer library hours, and the free business cards in Toppel, just to name a few for those of you who don’t realize these things don’t just fall out of the sky for us), but does that mean that the next one will do the same? (By the way, we are having a debate this year, it’s going to be Thursday at 5 p.m. at the Rat, in case you’re feeling interested.)

How are we to know or get a better grasp for what they are like if we don’t take the time to hear what they have to say? You need to know who your candidates are and what they plan to do if elected, so you can cast an informed vote. It’s time to turn things around and kick voter apathy to the curb. So start to care, and take the time this week to listen to what your candidates and possible representatives have to say-it may not seem like it now, but it will pay off in the long run.

Adela Ghadimi is a sophomore majoring in political science and international studies. She can be contacted at a.ghadimi@umiami.edu.

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...