UMNEWS National Geographic honors Rosenstiel School researcher as ‘inspiring adventurer’

Environmental anthropologist Kenny Broad has been selected for the National Geographic 2006 Emerging Explorer Award. This title is bestowed annually to eight rising talents who push the boundaries of discovery, adventure and global problem-solving, and awards each up-and-comer with $10,000. National Geographic selected this Rosenstiel School professor for its 2006 group because of his unique perspectives on the relationship between climate, society and natural resource management, and for his work exploring challenging underwater environments.

Broad received his Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1999 and is an assistant professor at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science in the Division of Marine Affairs and Policy, and the Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy.

He holds a joint appointment at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory. Working in the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean, Broad studies climate impacts and human perception, the use and misuse of scientific information, decision making under uncertainty, marine protected areas and issues of societal equity.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...