UMNEWS National Geographic honors Rosenstiel School researcher as ‘inspiring adventurer’

Environmental anthropologist Kenny Broad has been selected for the National Geographic 2006 Emerging Explorer Award. This title is bestowed annually to eight rising talents who push the boundaries of discovery, adventure and global problem-solving, and awards each up-and-comer with $10,000. National Geographic selected this Rosenstiel School professor for its 2006 group because of his unique perspectives on the relationship between climate, society and natural resource management, and for his work exploring challenging underwater environments.

Broad received his Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1999 and is an assistant professor at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science in the Division of Marine Affairs and Policy, and the Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy.

He holds a joint appointment at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory. Working in the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean, Broad studies climate impacts and human perception, the use and misuse of scientific information, decision making under uncertainty, marine protected areas and issues of societal equity.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...